Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How Off-Ice Training Really Works...

I thought I'd share my personal story with you. I delivered my wonderful daughter in April 2008. As I had returned to the ice and competed after my son was born, I figured getting back up to speed would be just as easy after the second child: wrong! I started skating again after three months after childbirth, with little strength training. It took me several weeks to get a feel for single jumps, let alone doubles, as my legs felt weak. After a month, I could do my double salchow, and tried in vain at the double loop and flip. To my surprise, they did not come very easily. I decided to take this season off and work on my off-ice strength and conditioning to get back in shape. My program consists of two days a week of a circuit of lower, upper body, and core interval training with plyometrics once a week. Very similar to the programs in "Adult Training".

My first day back skating (not including many hours of teaching) was the other day, after an eight month break. How excited was I when I was able to do double salchow, double loop, and double flip on the first attempts. No wobbly legs, and I felt like my old self after half of a session! This is the reason I diligently promote off-ice training. Without my strength and conditioning program, I would never have been able to pick up the jumps that quickly. Off-ice training is a necessary component to every skater's training program, and I would not be where I am today without it. Now on to double lutz-double toe tomorrow.....

No comments: